Well of course The Climbing Zine Volume 4 is taking us longer than we expected. The zine always does. This time we're making sure it's our best volume yet, so it will be worth the wait. We're also figuring out distribution, and the whole e-reader thing, to reach as large of an audience as possible. That said Volume 4 WILL drop this month, I promise. In the meantime, here is a poem that will be published in Volume 4. Cheers, Luke.
Freedom by Luke Mehall
Freedom, where are you?
I found you briefly, growing up in the flatlands
And then, you were flattened
By growing up, taking tests
Who would have known to fail was the best?
I failed so many times I failed at failure
Wailing with the prospect that I had nothing
Freedom I looked for you in magic mushrooms and LSD
Smoking marijuana every chance I got
Risking getting busted and imprisonment to escape a mental prison
Freedom, I found you in Allen Ginsberg’s America
As my tears spilled into my murderous coffee
Freedom, did I see you again at the campfire?
Did I see you when I gave up and wasn’t looking?
When I wanted to die because I had nothing to live for?
Freedom I found you in climbing, higher and higher
Till all negativity and doubt perspired, leaving just me
Realizing at the time all I wanted to be, was to be
Freedom, then I got addicted to you
And the addiction was just as false
As freedom being found in simply the red, white and blue
It can be, true, but what I learned most about you
I learned you are an ingredient
An essential part in the recipe of a human life
Too much and your heart and soul will ache
Not enough give, too much take
Freedom I think I understand you more
I learned more than I ever wanted to know (at the time)
Freedom now I’ll compliment you in rhyme
Freedom I’ll always be searching in climbing, above
Freedom you are the best when complimented with love
- ► 2016 (17)
- ► 2015 (11)
- ► 2014 (15)
- ► 2013 (26)
- Man on Wire, Following Dreams, Opportunities
- Oldie but Goodie: Hanging with Ben Johnson
- Continual Experimentation
- Oldie but Goodie on Friends of Indian Creek
- Moonlight Dreamchasers
- Blogging is the New Poetry
- Whatcha Gonna Do On The Planet Today?
- Rejection (from a publisher) on Valentine's Day
- Funny Headline, but very dope for The Climbing Zin...
- Lawton's Route Re-cap from Mark Grundon
- The Climbing Zine on Kindle (Ready to Read)
- Who The F**k is Cliff Cash?
- eLaboration on Motion and eMotion
- February Motion and eMotion
- Freedom and Volume 4
- ▼ February (16)
- ► 2011 (44)
- ► 2010 (13)
- ► 2009 (9)