Thursday, February 16, 2012

Blogging is the New Poetry

"He who is not busy being born is being dying," -Bob Dylan

I recently heard a quote on a song by the rapper Canibus that writer's block is not a problem he has, rather his problem is having too many words, too much to say. I don't believe in writer's block either. I've always got something to write, if I didn't it would be like not having air to breathe. Now getting those thoughts onto paper is another story, but when that doesn't happen, it's not writer's block, it is a sign to take a walk, a run, go for a ski, a bike ride, a climb. A sign to meditate, or have sex or do yoga! If you are a writer you will not get writer's block. Believe that!

That said, I've been writing shorter things lately, which kind of drives me crazy. I want to be a novelist dammit, but the vision for my novel is not clear in my mind, so I won't start writing until it is. Or, as Allen Ginsberg once said, "I won't write my poem till I'm in my right mind."

So maybe writer's block is just a lack of vision. Ponder that. My other problem in my mind is that I have so much writing, that I believe is good, that I want the world to read. It is the time in my career that I have to be a businessman. I have to sell my work. This isn't something I ever really imagined when I was trying to create beautiful stories. It is reality though. Fortunately it is 2012 and selling stories is easier than ever. Can anyone reading this help me sell some stories? My message in a bottle is my blog. I'm not hard to find if you think you can help me. No one is hard to find in 2012, unless you're not on Facebook. Sometimes I wish I wasn't on Facebook.

If you're not busy being born, you are busy dying. What if more people took that quote to heart? What if we all realized how precious our lives were, and that there are sources out there that want to conspire to help us live out our dreams?

My blog has been a great outlet while I'm struggling to find the vision for my next longer, beautiful project. Blogging is the new poetry...I'm out!

No comments:

lukemehall.blogspot.com

lukemehall.blogspot.com

Blog Archive