Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Back In The Saddle, Party Like It's Your Birthday (challenge)

"You're looking for something you ain't quite found yet," Last Thoughts on Woody Guthrie by Bob Dylan

Summertime is a season for joyous routine, get into a healthy zone, and stick with it. Last summer I failed to do that, but this summer I’ve got it back. Lots of writing, lots of sleep, and lots of climbing; climbing into that next level.

I write for many reasons, but one reason I write is that the story I want to read has not yet been written. Many years ago I lamented to a friend that there were so many books in the library, why try to write another? Later, after that thought had passed I would walk into the library and wonder why my book was not yet on the shelves. Today, my book is only on the shelves of e-readers, but someday it will be on the shelves of a library. They say there is nothing new under the sun, but I think my generation is proving that wrong; the future unfolds with new fresh ideas and ways of living.

I feel myself becoming more optimistic with each passing day, and I wish I could pass that along to those younger than myself. The world we live in is crowded, no doubt, but there is so much potential for new ideas, and new ways of living. The world may be a place of finite resources, but the heart is infinite.

I don’t use this blog to write about climbing as much as I used to, now that The Climbing Zine has its own website and blog, but sometimes I can’t help it. Climbing is what gives me a feeling of being alive, and begs me to continue to be optimistic; a pessimistic climber does not grow.

Currently I am training for a “birthday challenge”, a fun concept to try to climb the number of routes, for the age you are turning. I’ve written a couple blog posts for The Climbing Zine about it, and I’ll leave links for those at the end of this post.

In the midst of training for this challenge, I’m trying to tune my body to climb as much as possible, without bonking, or feeling overly tired. My training ground has been the Golf Wall, an overhanging chunk of limestone, just north of Durango. Lately the crag, and the friends I go with, have set the tone for living. Keep trying harder, don’t be afraid to fail, it only makes you stronger, and most of all enjoy the ride by living in the moment. Everything will pass us by, and pass through someday, sink deep into what is now… 

Blog posts on www.climbingzine.com


No comments:

lukemehall.blogspot.com

lukemehall.blogspot.com

Blog Archive