Thursday, May 17, 2012

Dreams



My computer seems to be having trouble today, so I don’t know for sure if I’ll post these words. It’s incredible how much the writer relies on computers these days, it’s essential to publishing anything. Lately I’ve been thinking about our dreams and how they relate to our happiness. For the last year and a half I’ve been pursuing my dream to become a full-time writer. I’ve been broke as hell for most of this time – and I’ve never been happier. I’m following my heart to my dreams.

As I’ve done this I’ve contemplated others I’ve interacted with, and who seems happy and who doesn’t. It doesn’t seem that money plays much of a factor in this, those that pursue what they love seem happier than those who don’t take risks to pursue their dreams. Granted there is a fine line somewhere there, we all need money to some extent, but it seems obvious when people are unhappy because they are afraid to take risks.
           
Dreams also need to come to fruition in order to manifest happiness. I’m not there yet. Every time I get a piece of writing published, it is a dream come true, but I’m far from where I want to be. Dreams take a lot of work, and I also believe they must be tested to see if we are really dedicated to them.
            
These days technology has made it easier for a writer to achieve her or his dreams. Self publishing can be a great compliment to the inevitable rejection from the traditional publishing world. It’s exciting to be a part of this revolution, and I feel my style of writing fits perfectly in this recreation of how we read and write. I should also add that having a handful of editors is essential to self publishing. Just because you can publish your own work doesn’t mean it is always the best thing to do right away as a young writer. Writers need someone else to weed out our mistakes.

In this meditation of dreams and dreaming I’m wondering what I’ll do today to not only dream, but to do something to firmly plant my seed of dreaming in the ground, so that it can grow. What will you do?





MUCH LOVE, no hate….Luke

No comments:

lukemehall.blogspot.com

lukemehall.blogspot.com

Blog Archive