Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Only 250 words

I just started a Continuing Education Creative Writing course at Fort Lewis College, and our first assignment was to write about doing something active, in only 250 words. This is what I came up with, bending the rules of assignment to include what I did before yoga. I'll post all my assignments up on the bloggie blog.

As usual my morning was filled with house sitting chores, a couple murderous cups of coffee, surfing the web, and ideally some writing. Many days I wish I had only a typewriter in front of me. The simplicity is enviable.

Today my window for writing something while being insanely high on coffee is about an hour and a half. I have a yoga class that starts at 9:30 a.m. sharp. The words flow, a blog post about love, spring and writing. Writing about being a writer; certainly very blogger-like. I get close to my daily dose of a thousand words in. Long ago I made a vow that if I wrote a thousand words every day I would be fulfilling my personal legend. I learned that from a book by Stephen King. I feel more content on days when I get a good morning writing session in.

I also feel good when I do yoga. Somehow, the form of yoga I’ve chosen is very popular amongst women. It was started by a man, the ninety three year old, BKS Iyengar. Class starts and my mind races from the coffee consumption. Quickly we’re stretching our hamstrings, working out our abs, breathing, and the instructor is talking of the joy of spring.

The most memorable and enjoyable pose: hanging upside down, on the wall. My pelvis supported by a comfortable padded sling. Blood flows intensely to my head. My mind has reached a meditative state. The coffee wears off and yoga is in.

No comments:

lukemehall.blogspot.com

lukemehall.blogspot.com

Blog Archive