Tuesday, March 6, 2012

The Creek and Canyonlands

Well it's March and that always means desert dreaming and climbing, at least for me. I just started a new house sitting gig at the base of our local crag, East Animas, for most of this month. So I'm sensing most of my climbing this month will be near my home of Durango, which is fine. April and May will be the months of travel this year, and I know I'll get my fix of the red rock desert then. Until that time arrives I'll be dreaming of past climbs and new lines. Here's some photos of Indian Creek and Canyonlands, from last March, with my great friend, Keith Brett. Enjoy. Note: photos are courtesy of Keith Brett.


View from the Broken Tooth Wall, my personal favorite at The Creek.


North Sixshooter sunset. Unforgettable.


The stunning and ever popular, Rock Lobster, with Inflictor to the right, a difficult finger crack, that is easily toproped from Rock Lobster, and occasionally led. Supposedly some stoppers are good in the Inflictor.


To the left is Tooth Pac, a mostly #2 hand crack, with one offwidth section (bring a #6 camalot). To the right is a shitty, sucker crack with no anchors.


The plaque of Tooth Pac. A much better warmup than the aptly named nearby Gingivitis.


The drive down the White Rim of Canyonlands National Park.


Yoga on arch in Canyonlands.


Pretty crucial to have a truck like Keith's to go down there. We drove for three and a half hours on 4 x 4 terrain to reach our objective, Standing Rock.


Standing Rock in the middle. Such a cool tower, the picture tells the story.


On the second pitch of the Kor route on Standing Rock.


Bomber desert anchor.


Keith Brett on the summit of Standing Rock.


Yours truly, rigging the rappel.


Yeah-ya.


Rappelling off Standing Rock. Only five more hours till yer back in Moab.

No comments:

lukemehall.blogspot.com

lukemehall.blogspot.com

Blog Archive