After much thought I am going to self publish my first book, Climbing Out of Bed, through Benighted Publications. There are a few reasons I'm doing this. One I have not been able to find a publisher that produces work that is similar to mine. I did submit a proposal to one publisher, and two months later they rejected it saying it didn't fit the subject matter of what they publish. Wow, it took two months for them to do that! That was a big epiphany for me. Do I want to continually go through that process, or just publish the book myself? The answer is that I want my work out there, and that I'll take on the task of promoting it on my own.
There will be 26 chapters to Climbing Out of Bed. Some are short pieces of poetry, others are long, up to 10,000 word essays. Basically it is a collection of everything I've written that I am proud of in the last 10 years that relates to climbing and mountain town culture. It is an eccentric mix of stories, and perhaps it is best I publish it on my own, rather than searching forever for the right publisher.
Here's the chapter list. Climbing Out of Bed will be out sometime this year. First I'm focusing on publishing, The Climbing Zine Volume 4, which will be out within a month or so.
In the meantime, if you read on Kindle, The Climbing Zine Volume 3 and Moonlight Dreamchasers are live up there.
I'm in the process of learning how to publish them on Nook as well, so stay tuned for that.
Here's the chapter list:
1. Adventures with Two Tent Timmy
2. Climbing After Kerouac
3. Untitled Poem, Inspired by Hartman Rocks
4. Wide Eyes, High Times and Hard Times; a Story of Climbing with Mark Grundon
5. The Way of the Couch Surfer
6. Weird and Wheeled Encounters in Hitchhikers Space
7. This is Buildering
8. A Climber in the Winter of his Discontent
10. Somewhere in Between Dreams and Smog is Love
11. The Underwear Model Story
12. Wild Mountain Honey
13. Hammer’s Time
14. Wild Tom Mally
15. Real Mountain People
16. Naked Disco Dance Party in J-Tree
17. Climbing Out of Bed
18. A Year in the Heart of a Climber
19. Mary Jane; a Climber’s Ramble on the Trend towards the Legalization of Marijuana
20. Trying to Hang with Ben Johnson
21. The Black Canyon
22. The Painted Wall
23. Zen Dishwashing
24. Go West Young Man in the Freedom Mobile
25. My First Piece for Durango
26. Last Thoughts on Adam Lawton
27. A Climber in the Winter of his Content
- Self Publishing My First Book
- Man on Wire, Following Dreams, Opportunities
- Oldie but Goodie: Hanging with Ben Johnson
- Continual Experimentation
- Oldie but Goodie on Friends of Indian Creek
- Moonlight Dreamchasers
- Blogging is the New Poetry
- Whatcha Gonna Do On The Planet Today?
- Rejection (from a publisher) on Valentine's Day
- Funny Headline, but very dope for The Climbing Zin...
- Lawton's Route Re-cap from Mark Grundon
- The Climbing Zine on Kindle (Ready to Read)
- Who The F**k is Cliff Cash?
- eLaboration on Motion and eMotion
- February Motion and eMotion
- Freedom and Volume 4
- ▼ February (17)
- ► 2011 (54)
- ► 2010 (15)
- ► 2009 (11)